Wednesday, January 2, 2008

We're in China!

We'll after being awake for over 24 hours, we are finally here! What a trip. We got delayed in Detroit (surprise!) for about an hour, of course, the plane was already loaded, so we were stuck on the plane. It was a miserable 13 hour trip. The plane was completely full. There might be 6 inches between your legs and the seat in front of you and of course the people in front of you are going to have their seat reclined back, the whole 13 hours! Even when we ate, they didn't budge. By hour 10, we were really getting ansy. Of course, leaving an hour late put us late in Tokyo. When you get into Tokyo, you have to go through security again, I guess they think you might have had someone airmail you a bomb or something. The people at Tokyo were really friendly. Even though we were late, the plane waited for us to go through security and board. I think it was the most thoughtfulness I've ever seen with an airline. Usually, they tell you, you are screwed. So, we made it to Beijing along with all of our luggage! We waited an hour at the airport, and our ride never showed. So, we call Aunt Betsy asking her to call AAA to see what they can do about it, since they arranged it. They really weren't any help, so we called the place again and got a woman on the phone that said she was going to send a driver right away. he was there in about 15 minutes, it was great. We saw lots of christmas decorations, which seemed kind of odd to me, but it was neat. They had a season greetings sign downtown that was all lit up. You think people drive crazy in the US,you should see them here! OMG, it was scary! Well, the hotel is called Raffles (part of International Beijing Hotel), it's very elegant. There is a bedroom part, sitting area and a huge bathroom. They also left some cool chinese slippers, that were are taking home, of course. Ok, so, we made it (thank God), and we are exhausted and need to sleep. I'll write more tomorrow. Love everyone

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Sorry I missed your call. Ck'd your flights online from time you left MCO so knew of delay. Benny said you'd wait to call from your hotel room. Of course he got no newsy details so I was thrilled to see your blog. All's well here.
Love, Marilyn

Lori said...

Hey girls !!! so glad to hear from you...everyone at work is asking how you are...Glad you didn't have to long of a delay in Detroit.Sounds sooo exciting.Such a great adventure...keep us posted and get some rest...I'll keep praying..Lori

Idgey said...

I love this blog thing! I'm so glad you guys made it safely. I'm sorry your trip was not so great but you are there now. How many times did you say to each other, "Can you believe we're in China?"
Forget sleep. You'll catch up when Morgan starts Kindergarten.
I have my clock and weather for Beijing on my computer and keep wondering what you are doing now.
Have fun. Can't hear the next leg of the trip.
Love, Pam