Friday, January 4, 2008

The Great Wall and Tinnamen Square

Well, we went to the Great Wall today. What an amazing site. We went to the Mitanyu (spelling?) part. It is supposed to be less crowded and not so many tourist. I'm sure after today, we will be feeling it in our calves and upper thighs. When they say steep, they mean steep. We did take a cable car part way up to the great wall, which was greatly appreciated. On the way there, I got a little car sick, so I was happy to exit the vehicle upon arrival. We went through a great farming village. Our guide was telling us that the village doesn't have heat, so they still use wood burning stoves. it has a really bad odor. She was also telling us that this winter isn't as cold as previous winters. We used the toilet at the Great Wall. That was an experience in itself. On one of the stalls, there was a sign that said "for old chinese people" and it was a western style toilet. Pretty comical. The smell in the bathroom is enough to make you risk getting a UTI. Glad I brought the travel toilet paper, cause there was none! Also, no soap, but they did have sinks. I was afraid to turn on the water, so the germ x towels worked great. Well, enough about toilets. The great wall is such an amazing site. When we finally got to the wall, it was so still and quiet. I can only imagine what it must look like in the spring and summer, when everything is green. it must just be absolutely beautiful.
After the wall, our guide took us to an authentic chinese restaurant. We had soup with bamboo, mushrooms and chinese cabbage, white rice and noodles with chinese vegetables and chicken. It was very good. After that, we asked them to drop us off at Tinnamen square and we would walk back to the hotel. We were unable to see General Mao's tomb since it is only open in the am, but we did take pictures of the outside. We met a very nice couple, Tom and Caryann. They are in Beijing as students at the International College. They are learning English so of course they wanted to practice. They said we were very warm and friendly. They invited us to have tea also. They were telling us that most American's they try to talk to usually walk away from them because they think they are trying to sell something to them. I can completely understand that cause I am always a little leery when they start speaking to us, but they had good energy.
Well, tomorrow we will be off to Hong Kong for one night. Then to nanning, where little Morgan is. Miss everyone. Love to you all

No comments: